Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Star Light, Star Bright

Trying ever so hard to come up with just one thing I like about fall. I most definitely do NOT like the cooler weather. I am a girl of summer at heart and these sudden drops in temperature don't sit well with my body. Lesser humidity is a plus I will admit.

Being out with the dog the last couple of nights I may have figured out the one thing I can like about fall - the night sky. Yes, the night sky is there no matter what the season. However, the summer it isn't as clear due to humidity - in the winter it is just too darn cold to stand out there for long and star gaze....so fall and spring have to be the winners.

Once the humidity dies down it is amazing to see how many stars are in the sky. I see more now that we are in a bit less of suburbia than when I lived in Ellicott City/Columbia area. Less city lights to hide the beauty of the night sky.

As Dani goes on her eternal hunt to find that elusive ground hog or rabbit or deer that had the audacity to step into her "territory", I gaze upon the heavens and just marvel. The dog could probably run off and explore the whole neighborhood while I enjoy looking at the constellations. The clear nights we've had lately have just been beautiful (although admittedly a bit cooler than I prefer for only the middle of September).

I understand why Galileo was so captivated by the stars. It does make you wonder (is there anyone or anything else out there?), it does put things into perspective (how small we are in comparison), it does give you a sense of a power greater than yourself.

Doubt I'll ever take up star gazing proper (with telescope) but I will now look forward to my nightly walks with Dani so I can commune with the clear fall night sky.

No comments: