Sunday, September 9, 2007

Acorns keep falling on my head...

While my poor husband was slaving away at work (on a Sunday no less), Dani and I decided to take advantage of the BEAUTIFUL day and take a walk. We headed over to Soldiers Delight and proceeded down the Red/Orange/Yellow trails. The weather couldn't have been more perfect - blue, blue skies, low humidity, plenty of sunshine, and a gentle breeze blowing. Although it was still too warm to feel like autumn, there was signs all around that fall was on its way.

You could see leaves were starting to change and fall. I got to wondering why some years it seems like fall is ablaze with color and other years it almost seems muted and dull. According to what I found online (at the SUNY-ESF site) the amount of water and temperature has a lot to do with it. So I have a feeling this fall will be one of the dull ones as we have had such a dry summer and unless it suddenly rains enough to get the water table back up..... well, let's say it is highly unlikely.

At one part of our walk we walked through one heavily oaked forest. Poor Dani just didn't know what to do. The acorns were falling already and I think this was the first time she experienced the sound and sight of falling acorns. She kept running from side to side of the trail trying to figure out what that sound was and chasing the acorns that fell. She kept taking off trying to chase after acorns thinking they were animals I think or maybe it was just because the movement caught her attention. I kept waiting for one to whack her on the head or back but she managed to make it through the forest without being attacked.

Fall has been a time of year that is good and bad. Early fall is nice because the humidity drops, the sky becomes bluer and some days still feel like summer minus the humidity. The changing color of the leaves are beautiful but I find the less hours of sunlight and that thing are dying off makes me think of the Greek myth of Pershephone.

Pershephone by *AutumnsGoddess on deviantART

But as I grow older I learn that every day, every season, every moment has it's worth. So this fall I will enjoy the falling of the acorns as well as the leaves. But it is going to take me a lot longer to appreciate the wonders of winter.....brrrrr!

No comments: