Tuesday, September 25, 2007

One curmudgeon coming up!

Well it's official - I'm old. No, there is no getting around it. It has nothing to do with my pending birthday but instead it has to do with my outlook. I'm not depressed nor am I bothered by the number 4 repeated twice.

I wouldn't say that I'm bothered or angered more just disappointed. Let me explain.

I have been fortunate to experience several Broadway shows (on Broadway), others were touring groups with half the original Broadway casts, or others such as seeing Yul Brynner in "The King & I" before he died or Carol Channing in "Hello Dolly" one last time. I see this as a perk of being an only child (cost was not the issue it would have been in some families) and a big drama lover (some would say drama queen). I lament over days gone by. I was introduce to the theatre (yes, spelled the British way on purpose) when you still dressed to attend. You held your applause until the end as not to spoil the whole experience and you were treated to the talents of Rogers and Hammerstein, Stephen Schwartz, or Andrew Lloyd Weber. Gone are those days - just dust in the wind (to borrow a contemporary tune). *sigh*

No longer do people feel that going to the theatre is a special event and out of respect to that event and to the actors performing they dress accordingly. Of course people don't dress to dine out either but that is another blog all together. Not only is not dressing in your "Sunday best" an option but many folks feel that jeans are appropriate for Lerner and Loewe as it is going to Lowe's Home Improvement store.

Okay, I could possibly curmudgeonly deal with lack of appropriate dress but I can't excuse the lack of originality on Broadway these days. No longer are we treated to sheer sing-along-ability of Rogers & Hammerstein number, the sexy footwork of Fosse, banter of Gilbert and Sullivan, the genius that is Lloyd Weber. No, instead we are "treated" to the likes of Disney and bad Hollywood movies being turned into...*gasp* Broadway musicals.

I'm not saying there aren't still a few new shows on Broadway but the majority of shows these days there and touring are not what they used to be.

So as I said - it's official. I've become a curmudgeon. Moaning on about "the good ol' days", shaking my fingers at "kids today" and their lack of appropriate dress (although there are plenty of adults that fit that category as well) and general waxing poetically about the past glory days of Broadway.

Well, this ol' curmudgeon is just going to use modern technology to reminisce of days gone by:



So raise your glass to one more curmudgeon in the world and just allow me to enjoy the "golden days of yesteryear" while the rest of you enjoy the new modern theater.

No comments: